Saturday, September 7, 2013

Dairy-free Buttermilk Pancakes? Yes please!


 It takes a pretty determined Mama to make Buttermilk pancakes that are dairy-free! My Mother-in-law gave me this recipe book and I LOVE it! I can substitute many of the ingredients - this is my first recipe from this book and I will be using it more!



I cut this recipe in half for the first time, just to see how it came out. I replaced all of the dairy and egg ingredients with MSPI/FPIES friendly ingredients. I also added a sweet strawberry topping.

What you need:

Pancakes
2 cups flour
2 Tbsp sugar
2 cups Coconut Milk + 2 Tbsp coconut vinegar 
2 Tbsp pure olive oil
2/3 cup organic applesauce
1 tsp baking soda

Topping:
1 cup frozen organic strawberries (it's more cost-effective to buy them this way)
1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp Agave Nectar

For pancakes:

Mix dry ingredients together, make a well in the center. Mix coconut milk and vinegar together, let it sit for 5 minutes, then add applesauce and olive oil. Add to well in dry mixture. Mix until just combined.



Using soy-free olive oil spray, grease a pan and heat over medium heat. I used a measuring cup (1/4 cup) to pour onto the heated pan. Flip when sides start to bubble. Remove when golden brown.


L is a very picky eater, so I used a heart cookie cutter to shape the pancakes:


For the topping:

Add frozen strawberries and water to a clean pan, keep at medium heat until softened, cut into smaller pieces using a spatula:


I added agave nectar on the pancake and then added the strawberry topping:


I'd call these a win! L love them (though he ate the strawberries right off the top first):


Enjoy!

-Amanda :)









No comments:

Post a Comment