Saturday, October 18, 2014

Dairy-free Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches



While on pinterest the other day, I was looking for motivational quotes/pictures to share with my challenge groups, and came across a picture of a waffle ice cream sandwich.

My first reaction was: WHY would they do this to me?! ;)

Then I realized: I could take the concept and make this a safe recipe for my Logan!

No dairy, no eggs, no soy, no problem!!

Ice Cream
1 cup of safe milk (I used goat milk for Logan, you can also use almond)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 cup pure maple syrup

Pour all ice cream ingredients into a freezer bag and mix well. Let air out of the bag and seal.


Lay bag out flat and store in the freezer for about 2 - 3 hours. Remove from freezer, and mix again (you will have to break some of the ice). Place back in freezer for another 2 - 3 hours.

Waffles:
-Dairy & soy free cooking spray
-1 3/4 cups barley-free flour (we use King Arthur unbleached white whole wheat flour if it's safe for your little one)
-1 Tbsp baking powder
-1 3/4 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce

Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl, make a well in the center, and set aside.

Mix wet ingredients together and add to the dry ingredients, pouring into the well.

Mix together with a fork. Heat waffle maker and spray with safe cooking spray.

Cook waffles thoroughly (almost a little crunchy is best), add to a plate.

While waffles are cooking, remove ice cream from freezer, and leave out for about 5 - 10 minutes to soften slightly. Add to a blender. You may have to add in extra milk to help make it creamy and easier to blend (I added about an extra 1/4 cup of goat milk to Logan's).

Allow waffles to cool, then add ice cream to the top.


I truly wish I could have captured my little guy's expression as he saw the waffle ice cream sandwich coming. He was in little boy heaven! And it didn't last long :)


I made the exact same recipe for hubby and I, and subbed out the goat milk for almond milk. Hubby loved his too!

Enjoy!! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment