Saturday, September 20, 2014

Almond Butter Bread - No Yeast, No Sugar, No Gluten!

You could say I'm a little excited.


See, I found this recipe - this has NO yeast, NO sweeteners, and yes, NO gluten or dairy!

It has been an INCREDIBLY frustrating month. I have been trying so hard to experiment with different recipes, see if it crumbles (or explodes - don't ask), and still see how my body reacts to it. It takes time, it takes (what seems like) flushing money down the drain when the recipes don't work, and it takes a lot of patience.. which I don't have.

This is the first real win I've had on making any sort of bread since I started this journey.

A lot of anti-candida bread recipes include buckwheat. 

Blech.

I tolerated it when I first made my buckwheat pancakes, because I had incorporated coconut flour in at that time. But let's be honest: buckwheat alone tastes like dirt and BO. Seriously.

Coconut is also not something my body tolerates well. I know it's good for you, and it's good for fighting candida, but my body hates it. So coconut is now out.

Teff flour is ok, but only in small amounts. What is with all the gluten-free stuff having such an awful aftertaste?

SO when I found this recipe this morning, I knew I'd have to use a ton of almond butter... but I also knew I was desperate enough not to give it a shot.

I am so glad I did!!

The only changes I made was: I need fiber in my diet, and there wasn't enough in the original loaf, so I added the millet flour and milled flax as a bonus. :)

What you need:
  • 1 cup almond butter with no additives (including oil that gathers at the top)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/4 cup millet flour (if you don't have this or the flax, you can try it without, as the original recipe shows)
  • 2 Tbsp milled flax
  • Pinch salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
Directions:

Preheat the oven to 325F. Line an 8- x 4-inch loaf pan with parchment paper (I was out, so I sprayed mine with olive oil spray - it worked out fine).

Whisk the almond butter and eggs together until blended smoothly (I used an electric mixer, it was super thick).

Whisk in the millet flour, flax seed, salt and baking soda. The batter will be thick:


Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 30 minutes. You know the bread is done when you insert a toothpick or fork and it comes out clean. :)


Remove from the oven and cool. I cut mine into slices to freeze and use in the future :)



Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment