Saturday, August 16, 2014

Vegan Donuts! No Dairy, Eggs, Sugar, or Vinegar!

Let me start this by saying: this is something I've been wanting to make for my little boy for a VERY long time.


Many times, I have gone to pick up a coffee at a local coffee shop, and the sweet lady behind the counter gives me a donut for Logan. I always smile politely, say thank you, and then get rid of it when she can't see.

The little guy understands that he's different than other kids. When we're at an event, and I give him food, he always looks at what he has, and then looks at what all the other kids are eating.

It breaks my heart.

I see other kiddos with donuts all the time - munchkins, donuts, etc, and have wondered when I'd be able to make some for my Logan.

Today is the day! :)



So when I say a few tears were shed this morning, please understand: this has so much more to do than just donuts. This means that my little boy gets a little taste of what it's like to be a regular kid! Plus, these are MUCH healthier than anything you'd get at any store :)

I finally purchased a donut cutter a few days ago - it took me awhile to find one, but our local restaurant supply store helped me out :)


The hardest part of finding a recipe for this is: I don't have ANY vinegar that's safe for Logan anymore. We pulled coconut a few months ago, and if he even gets a trace of it, it triggers a chronic reaction. I have never tried apple cider vinegar, or even regular vinegar, because they would need to be a completely separate trial. Since he failed a new food last week, his gut needs time to heal before we trial anything new.

So this recipe had to have NO vinegar, no dairy, no soy, no eggs, and no added sugar.

Yikes.

The closest recipe I found was here - and I had to replace quite a few ingredients, switch some things around, and take out the vinegar completely. As a result, these aren't as puffy as I'd like them to be, but they were still a really big hit!

What you need:

Donuts:
2 cups white whole wheat flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup safe milk (I used goat milk)
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup applesauce
1/8 cup olive oil
1/4 - 1/2 cup honey, to taste (or agave nectar, if you are going for vegan)

Glaze Dip:

1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 Tbsp safe milk
2 Tbsp flour
1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a pan with safe cooking spray, set aside.

Add dry ingredients to a large bowl, set aside.

Mix together milk, vanilla, applesauce, and olive oil. Add to dry mix, and mix well, using a fork. Add honey and mix together.


At this point, I added in about another 1/2 cup flour, and mixed together well. Chill the dough for about 20 minutes, and lightly floured counter to roll out the dough.

After the 20 minutes, roll dough out on the counter, to about 1/2 inch thick. Use the donut cutter to cut dough into donuts, and carefully place onto baking sheets


Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes.

While donuts are baking, whisk together glaze ingredients in a bowl, and set aside.


Remove donuts from the oven, allow them to cool for about 10 minutes.

Dip each donut into the glaze, covering one side, and place on a separate plate (a wiring rack would be optimal)


My little guy saw them and was amazed! This picky kid ate TWO!



Enjoy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment