Saturday, April 19, 2014

Allergy-Friendly Vegan French Toast

For a LONG time, I was checking EVERYWHERE for french toast recipes that did NOT have dairy or eggs. I've tried many, and failed. And failed. And failed yet again.


Then I found this recipe last month. I had to tweak a few things around, but it has been my lifesaver, and my picky little guy who already has a very limited diet LOVES it! This is dairy, soy, and egg-free, although it DOES have wheat.


Since my little one doesn't have to avoid gluten, I use my quick and easy bread recipe here. Just make sure it's about a day old, as it soaks up the batter more thoroughly that way (and won't fall apart as easily).

Day old bread
Here are the ingredients I use (the little guy can't have almond milk or nutritional yeast - you can also cut this recipe in half to only make one serving at a time, to avoid the rest going to waste):

  • 1 cup So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk
  • 1/2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
  • 1/4 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
  • 1 Tbsp White Whole Wheat Flour (or any flour safe for your little one)
  • 1 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp Salt
  • About 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil, for the pan
  • Extra maple syrup & fruit, if desired
1.  Using a fork, whisk together the coconut milk, maple syrup, flour, cinnamon, and salt.


2.  Cut two slices of safe day old bread, let it soak in the mixture for about 45 seconds on each side.

3.  Heat coconut oil on low-medium heat in pan. When the pan is hot, add the bread slices. Cook for a few minutes on each side, watching closely to ensure it doesn't burn.

4. Serve with maple syrup and fresh fruit. If your child is a picky eater like mine, you can cut the bread into shapes using cookie cutters. It's all about presentation with my little one!






Enjoy!

- Amanda :)

No comments:

Post a Comment