Thursday, August 21, 2014

Make Your Own Pumpkin Spice Coffee! 21 Day Fix friendly :)


To say I have a pumpkin obsession is a little bit of an understatement.

When fall rolls around, I kind of lose control when it comes to anything pumpkin. It's ridiculous.

If you've been following my posts, you've seen that I started the 21 Day Fix on Monday. I grabbed a pumpkin spice coffee from Dunkin Donuts that day... then Tuesday... and I knew yesterday I was in trouble when I was craving it. It's out of our budget, and I can't afford it every day!

So I looked up the ingredients - did you know that there's high fructose corn syrup in there?!

Whoops! That's not exactly Fix friendly!

So yesterday, I started trying out different methods.

I tried adding pumpkin pie spice to the coffee grinds.

Yuck.

I tried adding cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice to the coffee grinds.

Gross!

So today,  I reached out to my facebook friends for help, as I was getting nowhere fast! One of my friends recommended this recipe for clean syrup and I adapted the below recipe to it :)

  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup or agave nectar
  • 1 Tbsp pumpkin puree
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/8 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/8 tsp allspice

Heat water and maple syrup/agave nectar, and pumpkin puree in a small saucepan on the stove. Remove from heat once warm. Add in spices and stir well.

I add two tablespoons of the syrup to one cup of coffee, plus 1 tbsp almond milk. Amazing!!

AND when you keep this to one cup a day, you stay on the plan!

I'm in love :)



Enjoy! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment