Monday, February 16, 2015

Vegan and Sugar-free Chocolate Fudge with Cookie Dough Ice Cream!

The sweet tooth won this weekend.


Well, it *sort of* won - there is no added sugar in either the ice cream OR the fudge - and of course, it's completely dairy-free!

I turned 28 weeks last Thursday - and as soon as I hit 27 weeks, the cravings hit me HARD. I've done pretty well ignoring them through this pregnancy, but dang, the cookie dough ice cream craving has been BRUTAL!

But THANKFULLY, my girl Chocolate covered Katie always has me covered!

The fudge was because I love my husband - and he's completely obsessed with fudge. It's been awhile since he's had any, so I figured this was worth a shot!

This was adapted from Katie's Cookie dough ice cream recipe - which was SO easy to follow - and even though I don't have an ice cream maker, it still tasted amazing!

What you need (ice cream base):
  • 1 1/2 cups canned full-fat coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1/8 cup maple syrup
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda 
  • 1 and 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • chocolate chips
Mix all ingredients in a dish. If you're like me, and you don’t have an ice-cream maker, freeze mixture (I used a plastic freezer bag) and then re-blend in a blender or a nutribullet (this worked great for me!).

For the cookie dough part:
  • 1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup oat flour
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp plus 2 tsp almond milk
Mix your dry ingredients very well, then add in wet and mix. Squish into a giant ball, then break off pieces and stir into the already-made ice cream base.

I placed the mixture back in the freezer for another 20 minutes or so, then stirred it well, it came out great!

Now the fudge recipe.... oh my goodness...... SOOO good! Hubby kept looking at me and asking "this is healthy?!" 

For the fudge:
  • 1 cup pitted dates
  • 1/2 cup almonds, unsalted
  • 1/4 cup walnuts, unsalted
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 ripe bananas
  • 4 tbsp natural almond butter
  • 1/4 cup more unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 4 tbsp honey or agave nectar
Put dates in a bowl with warm water, allow dates to soak for 30 minutes, then drain. 
Mix together dates, almonds, walnuts, and 1/4 cup cocoa powder in a food processor until well blended. 

Spread mixture in a 9×5 baking pan (or an 8x8 is okay) until evenly distributed, and press down gently with a spoon. I made the mistake of using what I had on hand - it would have been better if I had gone out and purchased an 8 x 8 pan - mine were super thin because my pan was too big - but they were still delicious!

Mix together bananas, almond butter, honey, and other 1/4 cup cocoa powder in the food processor until well blended. 

Spread mixture over bottom layer until evenly distributed. Place in freezer for 30 minutes. Cut into 16 squares. EAT!


Remember: it's only healthy if you don't eat half the batch! ;) Need more recipe inspiration and ideas? Subscribe above so you don't miss a thing!


No comments:

Post a Comment