Sunday, February 1, 2015

Gluten and (almost) Dairy-free Quiche

When this pregnant Mama gets a craving....


I get a serious craving! ;)

Meet my new favorite brunch food: Gluten-free quiche. It would be completely dairy-free, too, as I used almond milk, but I did throw some cheese in there (I haven't had cheese in so long, and it sounded SO good)! BUT you can replace the cheddar cheese with dairy-free cheese available in any natural food store to make it 100% dairy free :)

I found this recipe for broccoli and cheddar quiche and KNEW I had to try it this morning.

This was SO good - I mean, mouthwatering good. And considering it's my first time every making quiche, I think it came out pretty darn good - especially since it's gluten-free!

SO!

What you need:
  • 2 cups cooked brown rice
  • 1/4 cup cheddar cheese (finely grated - or, again, use dairy-free cheese if you're going completely dairy-free)
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 cup milk (I used almond milk)
  • 2 cups broccoli (cut into bite sized pieces - I may have added a little more than I should - it probably wouldn't have been quite so green!)
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese (or dairy-free cheese. I also WAY skimped on the cheese in this - I used maybe about 1/3 cup)
  • 1 medium onion (dice up very small - I should have cut mine smaller!)
  • 1 pinch nutmeg (optional)
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions:

Mix the rice, cheese and 1 egg together.

Press the rice mixture into a pie plate, about 1/4 inch thick. OR you can use a cast iron pan, like I did - I'm a huge fan of how food tastes after being cooked on cast iron AND it's better for you!


Bake in a preheated 450F oven until the edges and bottom just start turning golden brown, about 5-7 minutes.

Mix the eggs, milk, broccoli, cheese and onions in a bowl. Add in the pinch of nutmeg and season with salt and pepper to your liking.

Pour the egg mixture into the pie crust.


Bake in a preheated 375F oven until golden brown and set in the center, about 30-35 minutes.

EAT and ENJOY! I definitely did and so did hubby ;)

This was either his second or third trip up ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment