Monday, February 2, 2015

21 Day Fix While Pregnant - My Final Results and an Honest Review!

Final results and more pictures below!
So I did it. I was far from perfect, but I did it!

I completed the 21 Day Fix while pregnant!

I have to add in the disclaimer: my specialty is basically being a crazy busy wife/mom/coach. I'm not a doctor, nor am I giving medical advice - talk with your Doctor before beginning the 21 day fix, or any other exercise or nutritional program, ever, especially while pregnant!

SO let's go on to my review and results! I'm so excited to share this with you guys!

THE WORKOUTS:

Ok, so Friday's Cardio Fix was a brute - those days, I subbed out yoga. This body does NOT like hard core cardio while pregnant (post-workout flu symptoms are NOT your friend)! BUT really, that's what this post is all about - learning what works for you and listening to your body! I also fought sickness through this round, so when I say I was imperfect, please believe me!

My body says no way to heart-pumping cardio while pregnant (post-workout flu symptoms = no fun!). The rest of the workouts were fine, and I was able to modify every single one of them to meet my own pregnant needs. There ARE some exercises that my Doctor has recommended I NOT do (I would also encourage you to speak with your Doctor). I can't lie flat on my back, since I'm further along, so on some of those, I use a stability ball and take it slow.


I also had to be careful with some of the twisting and ab exercises, so when these come on during Pilates Fix, or Upper Fix, especially, I follow Autumn's pregnancy ab exercises - the key is to just NOT stop during the workout! :) The key again is to listen to your own body!

THE NUTRITION:

I've been striving throughout this pregnancy to stay as active as possible, and to eat 90% clean. I am almost 7 months with no sugar even!

Now you don't have to give up sugar completely, but getting back to the 21 Day Fix, the principles are great to follow! The eating plan is fantastic, and although we as pregnant women are supposed to eat slightly more, you can easily add in those extra calories and eat according to the plan! There is a great variety of food available to choose from - and if you are a busy mom trying to cook for everyone, pregnant, and tired, and wondering how to make the Fix work for you, here's a quick tip from me with how I do it!


My Doctor has also cleared me to keep drinking Shakeology (YAY!!) in place of a prenatal vitamin, as long as I add in extra iron to my diet. This really takes away any guesswork when it comes to wondering if my little girl is getting enough nutrients, and I rest easy at night knowing I'm doing the best I can to take good care of her and myself! I would encourage you to speak with your Doctor as well - I brought in the nutrition facts/vitamins on chocolate vegan shakeology, and he was impressed!

The only other thing to keep in mind is to watch your Vitamin A intake - specifically retinol. I drink chocolate vegan, which has beta-carotine as the source for Vitamin A - my research has me comfortable drinking this daily, as this is shown to be a safer form of Vitamin A. Again -
talk with your own doctor, and do your own research on this! :)

THE RESULTS:

Here's what I want you to notice, not just on my pictures here, but on your own pictures when you track your progress: Check out how much LONGER you look. You may not look like you've lost anything until you check that out! See how my waist looks like it's lengthened? That's what sticking with a program will usually do!
My jaw dropped this morning when I not only saw my pictures, but also weighed in and measured. I lost 8 pounds and 2.5 inches in 21 days!

Now, please realize my goal for this round was to control weight gain and and increase my stamina/strength. I HAD gained weight a little rapidly the month before I started this, though this was not expected, but definitely welcome!

Again - check out the length factor!
Although I didn't get in every single workout, and my nutrition was not perfect, I am proud of myself for getting through - and you know what? That's what it's about - feeling good in your own skin and accomplished after you finish a program. AND keeping up the excitement and enthusiasm to keep going!


I would love to connect with you! If you're looking for health & fitness support or encouragement during or after pregnancy, join us in our private Expecting or New Mamas support group here on facebook!



12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome!!! I came across this on Pinterest and I'm 25 weeks pregnant. I've been keeping up with workouts, my nutrition has been EH. A lot of mindless snacking and too much processed snack food. I'd say I'm probably 75/25 on the diet front, but want to see what a focused 3 weeks can do for my overall energy and health. This totally convinced me to start and give it a go. Regarding your calorie bracket/container count, did you figure out where you normally fall and then add on x amount of calories or bump up a range? Thanks so much for the help!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great job sticking with it girl!!! Yes that's exactly what I did, I calculated what my daily containers would be and then added an extra 200 calories to that, per my Dr :) It pretty much always bumped my containers up a bracket, which I didn't mind!

      Congrats on your pregnancy! So exciting!

      Delete
  3. Did your doctor recommend DHA as a separate supplement since you weren't taking the prenatal vitamin? I have an appointment at the end of July, so I'll ask my midwife then, but just wanted to see what your OB thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was your doctor okay with your weight loss? Like with your weight loss, did baby continue to grow well?Usually it isn't recommended to lose weight while pregnant. I am currently pregnant with my 3rd baby, and want to control my weight gain better, especially because I have already put on the pounds. I'm a little over 11 weeks. I have been adviced to gain only 15lbs. I basically already have. So my options are to maintain my weight the rest of my pregnancy or to gain more than recommended or safely lose the weight(?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimber! My Doctor was fine with it, baby girl continued to grow well! With that being said, I never recommend weight loss during pregnancy. Like you said, controlling weight gain is different than trying to lose weight. :) I'd definitely recommend that you continue to talk with your Doctor and get their recommendations!

      Delete