Wednesday, July 9, 2014

FPIES Pop-tarts :)

I posted this picture of a homemade pop-tart I made yesterday on Facebook. It got a LOT of interest:


Especially when I mentioned they were sugar, dairy, soy & egg free!

Apparently, nobody makes these? Well, I hadn't before yesterday, so it's no big surprise, I guess ;)

So let's get to it!

I based this on this recipe, but took out the sugar and I cut it in half, since it is just my little guy eating it.

You will need:

  • 1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour (we use Trader Joe's brand, no barley)
  • 1/8 teaspoon Salt
  • 1/8 cup honey
  • 1/2 cup Cold coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup Cold Water (may need more, you will have to watch for the desired consistency - I used 1/2 cup)
  • 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
  • Around 1/2 cup Strawberry and/or blueberry or Preserves (check the ingredients on the type you purchase - they like to sneak in Corn Syrup or other hidden ingredients in some)
Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl. Grab a little helper if you can, it's fun (albeit messy):


I HIGHLY recommend using a food processor for this, but we do not have one that is safe for my little guy (we had to use chickpeas in ours to make hummus - BIG no-no for him!). I decided to try using our nutribullet - hey it works for everything else!


I had to add in another 1/4 cup cold water, but hey, it worked! I started with the liquid ingredients, then slowly added in the dry mixture a little at a time.

After mixing thoroughly, make sure you add it back to the big bowl, so you can check it out for yourself. This is how mine looked today:


Lightly flour a surface to turn dough onto.


Knead 5 - 6 times and roll out evenly:


Using a knife, cut into rectangle shapes (as evenly as possible!):

Take half of the batch and place them on an ungreased cookie sheet. Then scoop the preserves evenly onto each piece, keeping at least 1/2 inch on each side all around. I mixed it up a little and used blueberry preserves on some and strawberry on the others:


Place the remainder of the rectangle cut-outs over the preserves, and line up as evenly as possible. Using a fork, go around and seal the edges well. I recommend placing the fork in flour first, then water, all the way around. I didn't do the water this time, which is why I think they didn't seal correctly!


After sealing the edges, go around with a knife and remove excess dough:


I recommend sealing with a fork AGAIN to make sure the filling doesn't come out when you flip them!

I had some extra dough, so I made little rolls for Logan, which he loved!


And of course, he helped with getting everything ready for the oven too ;)



Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 12 minutes, then flip, and put it back in for another 12 minutes (again - make SURE you seal them - you can see what happened when I didn't seal them enough this time!):



And of course, I had to try a bite (hey, I strive for 100% clean eating, 80% of the time) ;)



 If all else fails, and it isn't as fluffy as you'd like, just cut them in half, and add in extra preserves before serving (still warm):



 Enjoy!!































No comments:

Post a Comment